Are you dreaming of having a 16×16 deck in your backyard? A deck can be a great addition to any home, providing the extra outdoor living space you need for entertainment and relaxation. But what does it cost to build such a large structure? Before making any kind of investment, knowing how much something will cost is important.
In this article, we break down the costs associated with building a 16×16 deck so that you can make an informed decision on whether or not this project fits within your budget. Read on to learn more!
Factors that Affect the Cost of Building a Deck
The following are the factors that can affect the cost of building a 16×16 deck:
- Materials: Different materials have different costs and will factor into the overall price of your project. For instance, wood is generally cheaper than composite materials but requires more maintenance over time. Additionally, if you opt for a custom design, special features, or unique materials, you can expect the cost to go up.
- Labor: Hiring professionals to help build the deck for you will also affect the overall price tag. Be sure to get several estimates before making a decision and look at experience, reviews and references to make sure that you’re getting the best deal possible.
- 3. Permits: Depending on where you live, you may need to obtain a permit before building the deck. This will add cost on top of the materials and labor.
- Size: Of course, the size of your deck will also factor into the overall price tag. Larger decks are more expensive due to the increased amount of materials and labor required for construction.
Hire Us: Most Affordable Deck Builder in Wilmington
Estimated Cost to Build a 16×16 Deck
Now that we’ve covered some of the factors that affect price, let’s take a look at what it might cost to build a 16×16 deck in 2023. The average cost is between $8,000 and $10,000 but can go up or down depending on the above factors as well as any additional features you may want to include.
For example, adding a special railing or extra stairs could increase the cost by several hundred dollars while choosing a more affordable material like pressure-treated wood can help keep the price down.
How to Reduce the Cost of Building a Deck?
When it comes to building a deck, the cost is often the biggest factor. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to reduce the costs associated with constructing one.
1) Selecting Materials
First and foremost, do your research when selecting materials. Decking materials vary greatly in price, quality and durability. Researching different options will help you select a material that fits within your budget while still providing long-lasting performance.
2) Using salvaged or reclaimed materials
Consider using salvaged or reclaimed materials whenever possible. Reclaimed wood may be available at local lumber yards or online suppliers at a significantly reduced cost. If you choose this option, make sure to inspect each piece carefully for signs of rot or insect damage before purchase. While there’s an extra investment of time involved in this option, it can greatly reduce the overall cost of the project.
3) Labor yourself
Take on some of the labor yourself if you’re comfortable doing so. This includes activities such as demoing old structures, excavation for footings and cutting wood. This can be a great way to save money while learning a valuable skill in the process.
In conclusion, building a 16×16 deck is a big investment. It’s important to do your research and look at options before deciding what type of materials to use and the overall design of the deck. Not only will this save you time, but it will also help you get the most out of your investment with a beautiful and long-lasting outdoor space.
Invest in quality supplies wherever possible, plan wisely and keep an eye out for great deals on materials – then savor your outdoor time in luxurious comfort without guilt. Finally, by utilizing these tips, budgeting efficiently and making a few sacrifices along the way – constructing a dream deck can be done all while keeping costs under control!